Monday, December 15, 2008

Gift Baskets are done!

I have finished all of the gifts that have to be made except one and bought nearly all of the others. The gift baskets came out great!



I am very pleased that my idea was as good as I hoped it would be. I picked out a cookbook for each basket, crocheted some dishcloths, added cookie cutters, a spoon rest, the apron I made, and a couple of -kitchen whats-its. The mix-in-a-jar stuff was really easy to put together. I made up a jar of brownie mix, oatmeal cookie mix, cocoa mix, and Russian tea mix for each basket and also added a jar of the pear butter we canned this spring.


I am also very pleased with the aprons I made. I did not have a pattern to use, so I just copied the shape of the apron I have and used bias tape to trim it (thank you Bethany!). So pretty!


So, that is what I can accomplish with a five day weekend. I took vacation time that I needed to use up before the end of the year and stayed home Thursday and Friday. I finished most of the work on the presents and some of the household chores I wanted to get done. Saturday we were going to have people over for game night, so I finished my chores and got ready, but it started snowing and my friends were understandably hesitant about risking themselves, their children, and their vehicles on slick, dark roads. My friend Nikki did come over and we had dinner and watched a couple of movies and then it took her over a half hour to make the ten minute drive home. Yuck. So, Sunday was a lazy stay at home and watch it snow day. I accomplished nothing and am completely okay with that. This morning, my husband climbed back into bed after shoveling the driveway and told me the freeway south of town was closed, which meant neither of us could get to work. So, yay for another day off, but I was starting to go stir-crazy. Shane decided to brave the roads in town to go see a movie with a co-worker of his who also could not get to work, so I had him drop me at Nikki's apartment, since she was on a snow day and bored too. We watched movies, had burgers, and played with some beading kits I picked up at Wal-Mart. She made a really cool necklace that she plans to wear tomorrow and I got about halfway through a really complex necklace that shows great promise. I will post a picture if it comes out well. I hope that the roads will be clear tomorrow, since I will have today's work as well as tomorrow's to do in the morning and I really need to get the Christmas packages shipped now that they are completed. Cross your fingers for me.


4 comments:

Bethany said...

They turned out so great! And your aprons are so pretty.

I just remembered that I'd promised to post my dishtowel apron tutorial... I tried, but it's in my website building software and I couldn't convert it easily. Then I got distracted and wandered off and completely forgot about it. Sorry about that! Maybe when I finally post it, it'll be useful next time.

But that didn't matter, because you did such a wonderful job on the aprons the way you did them! They're so nice, I'm sure your recipients will love them.

Channy said...

Sorry we couldn't make it to your christmas party. It looks like the rest of this week will be a very very slow week at work. I doubt they will be sampling through all this snow and the ice underneath. I guess I'll see you this afternoon, unless the bridge is still closed, in which case I'll do all the reports myself.

Channy said...

Oh yeah and the aprons look great. I was going to say that in my last comment and got sidetracked...

Laura said...

WOW!! You were busy! The aprons are adorable and so are the baskets! WAY TO BE CRAFTY!!! :)